Thursday, July 4, 2013

Homemade Hotpockets

I found these sometime during last semester and had been looking forward to trying them.  Within the past two weeks, I've made these twice.  They are easy to make and turn out wonderfully!  They aren't quite dorm friendly.  If I did decide to make them during the school year, I could go ahead and measure (and maybe mix) the dry ingredients.  All I would have to add would be yeast and water.  Another option would be to make and then roll out the dough and freeze it.  Then all I would have to do is thaw them and add ingredients for the filling.

Below is the recipe for the dough, which I found at ABeautifulRuckus.com.  The fillings that I suggest are combinations that I've already tried.  Feel free to suggest new ideas!


Dough:
Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1/4 cup dry milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 cup warm water (not hot)
extra flour for helping the dough not stick when you roll it out



Tools:
stand mixer (or a spoon, a bowl, and a strong arm)
rolling pin
measuring devices
flat surface

Instructions:
1. Mix the dry ingredients together.
2. Add water and mix well.  If you are mixing the dough by hand, knead well.
3. Split the dough into 10 equal parts.
4. Roll out each piece of dough into a rectangle.



Fillings:
Cheddar and Chicken - Slices of cheese and strips of chicken.
Pepper Jack and Chicken - Shredded cheese and strips of chicken.
Mexican Burrito - Cooked rice with fresh chopped cilantro added later, black beans, and corn.
Baked Potato - Cheese, cubes of baked potatoes, bacon, and chopped green onion.  Very good when served with sour cream to dip in
Roast Beef and Cheese - Shredded cheese and sliced roast beef (sliced as if for sandwiches).  Good when dipped in mustard, so I'll have to try adding mustard to the middle next time.

Put down the fillings that you want to be on top first.  I recommend having the cheese be on the top.  Arrange the topping so they take up a rectangle on top of the rolled out piece of dough.  Allow enough room so that the sides and bottoms can fold up completely.  Add your toppings and then fold up the edges and turn you hotpocket over so it will bake right side up.


Toppings:
Garlic Powder
Parmesan or other cheese

Adding toppings is optional, but helps the hotpockets have a more finished feel.  Also, who would pass up the chance to use more garlic powder and cheese?  Not me!  Once you have sprinkled your toppings on the hotpockets, bake them for 15-20 minutes in a preheated, 350ºF oven or until they are light brown in color.




First I laid out all of the ingredients.


Then I mixed the dry ingredients and added the water.  
And I managed to forget to take pictures.



Then I split the dough into even sections.



Then I rolled out one section at a time.



I decided to roll all of them out before finishing making any of the hotpockets.



I added cheese and then chicken (not pictured).



I then folded the hotpockets, turned them over, and sprinkled them 
with garlic powder and parmesan cheese.

And finally I baked them.  They were really yummy, and I forgot to take pictures.  Whoops! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment