Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls


One weekend I thought it would be nice to make a special brunch-like meal.  I googled different things that I thought I would be in the mood for, and ended up with a recipe found on this site.  It looked great!  It only required a few ingredients, and those were items that I could use for other meals.  It was a very simple recipe.  And so I made them.  And they did not lead to a nice brunch.  This was due to a couple of important problems.

Problem 1:  Brunch did not happen until after lunch time.  I had gotten up early to make these, but was waiting on a friend to come over and eat them with me before I put them in the oven.  Suddenly, it was afternoon and I had eaten nothing all day and I was not happy for it.

Problem 2:  The pasteries did not get done in the middle.  The oven was too warm, so the outside crust got a nice golden brown look to it while the middle remained gooey and uncooked.

Final result:  I was too hungry for this very sweet and thus overwhelming pastry, and the gooey middle had to remain uneaten (or maybe I ate some of it and that contributed to not feeling well).

Fixes:  Make sure this isn't the only thing you are eating on an empty stomach unless you tolerate very sweet things in large quantity well.  The oven needs to be cooler than mine was.  I don't know if this means that the recipe needs to be changed or that my oven just runs hot.  But next time I will reduce the temperature just in case and cook them for longer.




The recipe:

Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup (or more) strawberries

Tools:
1 baking/cookie sheet
1 bowl
1 spoon
1 knife
potholder

Directions:
1.  Mix cream cheese and sugar in a bowl.  If the cream cheese is not soft enough to stir in the sugar, wait for a few minutes or put a warm dishcloth around the outside of the bowl to help it soften more quickly.
2.  Unroll crescent rolls into a sheet.  Split into fourths along the perforations and pinch the diagonal perforations together so that you end up with four rectangles.
3.  Place the four rectangles on a cookie sheet and spread the cream cheese mixture in the center of each.
4.  Prepare the strawberries by washing them and cutting them into bite-sized pieces.  (You can rinse out the bowl and use it to help with this.)
5.  Place strawberries on top of cream cheese mixture in the center of the rectangles.
6.  Gather the four corners of each rectangle and pinch or twist the corners together.
7.  Bake in a 375ºF oven for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.  (Here is where I will try cooking them at 350ºF next time for long enough for them to turn golden brown.)


Enjoy!